After the walk, visit stops through the park related to author Jack London:
In Sonoma County's Valley of the Moon, London Ranch Road leads to a 1,400-acre spread that writer Jack London called his Beauty Ranch. Nestled among moss-covered trees and undulating hills, it's now part of Jack London State Historic Park. From here, the man who penned "The Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" raised pigs and horses, planted crops, entertained friends, and continued a prolific literary career.
-Stephanie Wright Hession
All photographs and content copyright 2014 by Stephanie Wright Hession.
1. The House of Happy Walls
London lived on the ranch with his second wife, Charmian, who shared his passions for country living, travel and adventure. Three years after London's death, she had this two-story home built, with the plan of it becoming a museum honoring him after she died. Upstairs displays include some of her fashionable wardrobe and living quarters.
2. House of Happy Walls Museum
Charmian's former abode houses a museum and visitor center containing exhibits on Jack London and the couple's life together. Watch films of their time at Beauty Ranch and see artifacts from London's career and their yacht the Snark, which they sailed to the South Pacific. Free. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. (707) 938-5216, .
3. Jack London's Cottage
The Londons called this cottage home for about five years. From its attached study, the author spent mornings working toward his daily goal of writing 1,000 words and completed articles, short stories and novels. On Nov. 22, 1916, Jack London died here. He was 40 years old. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
4. Kohler and Frohling Winery ruins
Across from the cottage, you'll find remnants of the original main building of the Kohler and Frohling Winery, damaged in the 1906 earthquake. The Londons repaired it and used the main floor as a carriage house and a new, second story as rooms for guests and ranch hands, which a fire destroyed in 1965.
5. Sherry Barn and Distillery Building
London re purposed two stone winery structures, the Sherry Barn near the picnic grounds and the Distillery Building next to the cottage. Constructed in 1884, the Sherry Barn became a stable for London's prized English Shire horses, and farmhands used the Distillery Building, edged with a field of cacti, as an equipment repair shed.
6. Picnic grounds
Perched on a slope near the Sherry Barn, these scenic picnic grounds offer bucolic vistas of vineyards and a grove of eucalyptus trees, along with views of the Londons' cottage, the winery ruins and buildings. One of a handful of picnic grounds located throughout the park, it's dotted with picnic tables and barbecues.
From the House of Happy Walls, a half-mile trail leads to the Londons' graves and just beyond them, the ruins of the Wolf House. The Londons' dream home, it burned down in 1913, shortly before they were set to move in.
All content and photographs by Stephanie Wright Hession and may not be downloaded, copied, etc. without my permission.